Frontiers in Microbiology is the world’s most-cited Microbiology journal & ranks in the top Impact Factor and CiteScore percentiles
Frontiers in Microbiology continues to rank among the world’s top microbiology journals in terms of influence and quality, as shown by our analysis of the 2017 Journal Citation Reports (JCR-2017; 2018, Clarivate Analytics), 2017 CiteScore edition (2018, Scopus, Elsevier) and other impact metrics.
- The world’s most-cited journal in the JCR category of Microbiology, with 13,865 citations in 2017 to 2,503 articles published in 2015 and 2016 (Figure 1)
- The world’s most-cited journal in the CiteScore category of Microbiology, with 18,579 citations in 2017 to 4,432 articles published in 2014, 2015 and 2016 (Figure 1)
- Ranks in the 75th percentile of journal Impact Factors in the JCR Microbiology category, with an Impact Factor of 4.019 (Figure 2)
- Ranks in the 84th CiteScore percentile in the Microbiology category, with a CiteScore of 4.19 (Figure 2)
- 9,600 published articles to date
- 78,400 citations to date
- 35 million article views and downloads to date
- Articles mentioned 1,100 times in the news to date
- Articles mentioned 43,600 times on social media to date
Top research in 2017
2017’s top articles include discoveries and insights on the microorganisms in your gut, antibiotic resistance, how growing in the International Space Station affects bacteria, and much more.
Hottest Research Topics
Three of the ten Research Topics finalists in the 2017 Spotlight Award were also published in Frontiers in Microbiology:
Top article picks
Scientific excellence at scale
The impressive performance of Frontiers in Microbiology — and all Frontiers journals listed in the JCR and CiteScore metrics — reflects the continued success and influence of the Frontiers Open Science model of scientific excellence at scale.
All of this is only possible thanks to our research community and stellar editorial board. Frontiers congratulates Field Chief Editor Martin Klotz and all Specialty Chief Editors, as well as the diligent work of the Associate and Review Editors, authors and the Frontiers Journal Management team, for this outstanding achievement.